Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Definite Keeper....

Last night my best and closest friend had some hard cold truth to lay on me. And it hurt big time....but she was right. I hated hearing what she had to say because her words were so right. I needed to hear them, and I think more specifically I needed to hear them from her. If I heard it from anyone else I don't think it would have had the same effect. I was literally speechless as she talked and a myriad of emotions were running through me, but by the grace of God, I didn't impulsively act on any of them. Knowing myself, that's a true miracle right there!

I admit, I was mad, and wanted to get defensive, but the beauty of the situation is that God was using her words in ways I don't even think my friend knows of. His Spirit was at work through her in a mighty and powerful way. She had boldness to say what needed to be said regardless of how I might react to her words. How I not only love God for that, but how I love my friend! I adore her in every sense of the word. I have always respected her throughout our friendship ( with a few exceptions here and there due to a stressful bridal shower she and I coordinated....and amen and hallelujah we made it through that season of our lives without killing each other), but our conversation last night was a milestone in our friendship. It's very rare in life when someone could talk to me like the way she talked to me, and on my part, not feel completely offended or wounded. I felt convicted, saddened a little bit, but I knew she said it for my well being. Isn't that how God operates with us? I think if you find someone in life who is a reflection of God's behavior, I think you should hang on to that person with all your might. So that's what I'll do...I'm going to hold on to my sweet and precious sister and friend, however much she whips out the truth to smack me around with it, because she's a definite keeper.

No comments: