Friday, June 6, 2008

My Thoughts on My Mom...

Something occurred to me the other night after my mom and I left the woman's bible study our church is having. It was our first night of study, and all the ladies went around the circle and introduced themselves. My mom and I weren't sitting next to each other, and it was my turn first. As I introduced myself to the group, I also mentioned that Ginger was my mom and pointed her out. And the response was the normal response...."There is no way she is your mom!"..."you don't look old enough to have her!" ....(looking at me now) "How old are you?"....

And its one thing to be shocked, but its another thing to keep on going with it. Ok, people, be shocked for like five seconds, and then get over it.

I should be used to it, part of me is...because Ginger and I have gotten that response since I moved to Florida to live with her and my dad. My Ginger has always loved and treated me like her daughter...I am her daughter. She is my mom. We have had none of that stepmom- stepdaughter nonsense. Ever.

What I love about my mom is how she doesn't care what people think. Even after she told people I was her daughter, and they make some stupid comment, she never follows up with " well, she's my stepdaughter" to ease people's mental strain. She just lets them go ahead and strain themselves trying to figure us out. Its awesome...I love her so much.

But after Bible study the other night, what occurred to me is how some people might think negatively of her. Like she might have had me at fifteen years old. And you know people are trying to count the years in their mind....(" ok if you are twenty and you are 35 then you must have had her at......oh my"). But that doesn't phase my mom at all, she would rather people think she had me at fifteen than that I am her step daughter. Even as I write it the tears start to flow.

And I would just like to say....people need to mind their own damn business. I mean, seriously. Their need to satisfy their own selfish curiousity could be causing pain to other people. If my mom had me at fifteen, if she adopted me, or whatever our story is, if its not offered to you, then why try to figure it out? Thank God that I am not hurt over my past, instead I am rejoicing over where God has taken me and where He has brought me. I am just amazed at people's lack of sensitivity and consideration. Lord knows my situation has changed the way I look at people and their situations, not make hasty judgements.

1 comment: